They are 16 of the most innovative government programs in the country, according to the Ash Institute for Democratic Governance and Innovation at the Harvard Kennedy School in Cambridge, Mass. On May 27, representatives from the governments and agencies that created the policies will make their case before the institute's national selection committee for the 2009 Innovations in American Government Awards.
The finalists are:
- Child Welfare Reform - Maine
- New Leaders for New Schools - Chicago Public School District
- Auto Insurance Fraud Task Force - Lawrence, Mass.
- Center for Economic Opportunity - New York City, N.Y.
- Commonwealth Health Insurance Connector Authority - Massachusetts
- Crisis and Access Line - Georgia
- Data Feeds: Democratization of Government Data - Washington, D.C.
- Emerging Contaminants Program - Department of Defense
- Higher Education Initiative - Kingsport, Tenn.
- Mapping Evapotranspiration from Satellites - Idaho
- Neighborhood Place - Louisville, Ky.
- Online Inmate Information and Jail Visit Reservation - Santa Clara County, Calif.
- Primary Care Access Network - Orange County, Fla.
- Residential Abandoned Property Program - Chula Vista, Calif.
- Video Service Delivery - Social Security Administration
- Wraparound Milwaukee - Milwaukee County, Wis.