Twenty-one cities and towns will be in the spotlight this week during the NLC's 2012 City Showcase recognizing programs that demonstrate effective and collaborative approaches within government.' (NLC) Congress of Cities and Exposition November 28-December 1 in Boston. The municipalities will be highlighted in
The Showcase is NLC's premier program celebrating city achievements. Showcase cities were selected for initiatives that align with programming for the NLC conference. Those goals include promoting strong local economies, building sustainable communities and strengthening neighborhoods and families.
During the Boston conference, representatives of the Showcase cities will "engage in conversations with conference attendees and colleagues to discuss their implementation strategies, successes and lessons learned," according to NLC. Information about the City Showcase programs will also be displayed in the conference exhibit hall.
This year's City Showcase participants are both large and small municipalities from across the country. Some participants and the program for which they were selected include:
- Ann Arbor, Mich., framework
- Boston, the conference host, will be showcasing several initiatives, including Boston Bikes, Success Boston and Thrive in 5 Boston
- Cathedral City, Calif., energy action plan
- Glastonbury, Conn., Purple Heart Homes
- Hillsboro, Ore., electric vehicle program
- Kansas City, Mo., enterprise sustainability
- Moore, Okla., Recycle Moore
- Nashville, Tenn., Limitless Libraries
- Newark, N.J., Let's Move! Newark
- Savannah, Ga., Step Up Savannah
- New Brighton, Minn., Read to Play